Sunday, October 2, 2016

Happy October

New Month... the past is finished and gone.
      New Opportunity to Turn Over a 
~ New Colorful Leaf ~



Yesterday I had all intention of posting this. It was the first day of October and an opportunity to recommit my intentions to follow the Lord along the beautiful, idyllic path strewn with colorful, fall leaves. The meme above came together quickly, and I got it up on Facebook, hashtagged it (is that a verb yet) in Twitter, and squared it up for Instagram. It then took a while loading in Blogger, and I walked away from my desk…only to return this morning, October 2nd with a whole new appreciation for the verse; “In all thy ways acknowledge Him and He shall direct your paths.” Proverbs 6:3. That is the King James version. In other translations it reads, “He will make your paths straight.”

God gave me an opportunity to learn a new lesson or maybe more accurately, relearn the most basic one. The lesson of obedience. He took this verse and gave me the opportunity to be not just a hearer of the Word but a doer. I failed, He picked me up. 

Have you ever had that feeling, when God gives you a check, a warning? Yesterday, God warned me.  I got a deep down knowledge that the atmosphere had shifted, and I should have paid closer attention.  I shouldn’t have opened the door with the evil slayer behind it. When the annual Halloween movie marathon comes on a little later this month, I will refuse to watch, because all I will want to do is shout in vain to the sweet, little innocent sister, “RUN! Michael’s coming home get out of the house, NOW!” 

God does that for us, but only when we are inclining our ears to Him, can we hear His shouts. He knows something wicked this way comes, and He wants us to hear His warning and obey. He wants to make our paths straight, not the crooked, crazy, dead-end, double back, dog-leg left paths that this world would have us careening down too fast banging up against the guard rails or... trying to cross a road in front of an on-coming car. Yes, I am foreshadowing, and if this were the Halloween movie the dark, ominous music would start playing in the background.

After taking a hike up a mountain with Cooper and my sweet cat Zephaniah, Cooper asked if we should cross the road to the stream on the other side. There was a strong “NO” coming up, but I didn’t listen.  I thought maybe the desire of my heart to call it a day was self-motivated, I was tired.  I did stop and thought just a few minutes, I do love the stream, maybe we’ll see fish, never mind this strong sense of NO, be done. “Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart.” Psalm 37:4 should have guided my heart. But we crossed the road, and Zephaniah followed.

Zephaniah is only 6 months old, adorable and terrified of cars. I was all the way down by the stream looking back, calling across 100 yards to him as the car approached.  He was safe, hunkered down in tall grass, but close to the road. I could see it happen the way it happens in the horror movies in slow motion. The sound of it... Thud. Zephyr ran right into the side of the car heading for safety in the bushes on the other side of the road. He was tossed up in the air, landed hard on the road and then kept running for the other side. I took off after him – mad at myself and pleading the blood of Jesus over him.

I looked him over. He wasn’t bleeding, and while very scared and limping, he let me hold him. Cooper assured the driver of the car, who slowed and stopped, that we hadn’t thrown anything at his car. They were nice and apologized for what was clearly not their fault. Even if it had happened differently and appeared that way, this was an attack in the spiritual realm, not a fault of flesh and blood. We prayed. God did not want Zephaniah to suffer. He didn’t want me to suffer. He tried to warn me, and because I heard Him, and didn’t obediently follow, I repented. I was truly sorry. I washed in the blood of Christ. I put my guilt on the cross.  bore my sin. I beseeched God for his mercy. Christ carried my sin of not loving Him with my whole heart. My sin of disobedience was atoned for. It was finished and gone. I had been forgiven.  I praised God that the chastisement of peace was upon Jesus. 

Peace came over me as His Word, “Be still and know that I am God” came into my heart. I held Zephaniah still. I stilled my breath as I tried to still his little heart racing as I held him. I did what I saw my Father do, and breathed life into his limping shoulder. I laid my hands, Christ's hands on him. We called on Christ for his healing power and applied the dunamis power of Christ within me to heal. I went into the courts of heaven to get back what the devil had stolen. I, now innocent in the blood of Christ, stood before the throne and asked God to restore Zephaniah. We prayed in tongues, the perfect prayer. We rejoiced and praised Him. Thank you Jesus! Zephaniah took a nap and woke his normal playful self, leaping around trying to catch a moth hungry for dinner, healed and made whole. Hallelujah!!

It is hard to find the narrow gate along the path, and we need to take time to listen. He can literally direct our steps with His hand upon our hearts.  It is why we protect our hearts for everything flows from that source of love. Just last Sunday, our pastor preached on what it means to love God with our whole hearts. He told us, New Testament references to hearts are not the modern-day, romantic, Valentine’s Day, lovey dovey hearts. The heart in the New Testament refers to the seat of our will, and we have been given free will. We must will our hearts’ to God. Let our thoughts, our desires be His will, His heart for us.  With our hearts rooted and grounded in this love, He can guard us in Christ Jesus.

I will close with this beautiful prayer from the Episcopal Liturgy. It is found in the Book of Common Prayer, Rite One for Holy Eucharist:



Almighty God, unto whom all hearts are open, all desires known, and from whom no secrets are hid: 

Cleanse the thoughts of our hearts by the inspiration of thy Holy Spirit, that we may perfectly love thee, and worthily magnify thy holy Name; through Christ our Lord. 

Amen.




No comments:

Post a Comment